Heidevolk Article

12.03.2011 Heidevolk

Paganfest 2011

Turbinenhalle, Oberhausen (Germany)

(Pentax k-x with Tamron SP AF 17-50mm 2.8 XR Di II LD Asp IF and Sigma AF 50-150mm 2.8 EX DC APO HSM II)

The band Arafel around Ex-Equilibrium singer Helge I skipped (the day would anyhow be long enough) to have a short break. So I continued with the second special guest of the day: the Dutch folk metal band Heidevolk with their two singers Joris Boghtdrincker and Mark Splintervuyscht. Although they were only singing in their national language Dutch there were many people at the audience knowing the lyrics and singing along loudly.
After the show was opened with "Nahelennia" of theis last album "Uit Oude Grond" a mixture of songs of that and the predecessor "Walhalla Wacht". The atmosphere was rising from minute to minute especially pushed on the one hand by the two singers but also by the rest of the band who on and on encouraged the audience to participate. So quickly the first sole crowd surfer were sailing across the people and numerous hands were waving up in the air. Band and audience were obviously having fun. The last song was a somehow older song of the album "De Strijdlust Is Geboren" and to the sounds of "Vulgaris Magistralis" Heidevolk said goodbye to the stage.
A great gig lifting the mood up to a significant higher level as it was the case during Kvimetsän Druidi and there were following afterwards other really outstanding gigs of the bands Varg, Moonsorrow, Unleashed, Korpiklaani and Eluveitie.
Unfortunately this is also the last band of which I was able to post pictures. I had asked in front of the festival whether I was allowed to bring my DSLR with me and did receive no feedback. So first I went into the venue with my camera (they had a sign at the entrance that DSLRs were not allowed but the security did first not care about that) and then I stood left of the stage. Also there the camera was of no interest. But when I changed during Heidevolk to the right side of the stage there was one guy of the security that took notice of my camera and asked me to come with him. After a short discussion I willingly handed over my camera. I have to say that everything happened in a calm and objective manner. Also the head of the security crew was involved and tried to clarify whether I could continue photographing enventually but finally the camera was taken and locked up until the end of the festival so that it could not be stolen. For this behaviour a big thumbs-up from me towards the security!

Setlist:

• Nehalennia
  • Saksenland
  • Walhalla Wacht
  • Ostara
  • Het Wilde Heer
  • Beest Bij Nacht
  • Vulgaris Magistralis

Weblinks:

Map:

Pictures: