Straubing Tigers - Krefeld Pinguine Article

22.12.2013: Straubing Tigers - Krefeld Pinguine 2:4


Ice Ring at the Pulverturm, Straubing (Germany)

(Pentax K-5 with Tamron SP AF 17-50mm 2.8 XR Di II LD Asp IF and Sigma AF 50-150mm 2.8 EX DC APO HSM II)

It was quite early when I had to get up because already at 5:30 more than 500 Krefeld Pinguine supporters had to gather at the Krefeld main station to start their long trip towards Straubing at 6:00. But this was gladly accepted and so the athmosphere was excellent on the way there.
When we arrived at 12:45 at the Straubing station the march across the city passing the Christmas market on our way to the stadium began. It was looking quite impressive how these masses were getting near the stadium loudly. After arriving there the away supporters area was prepared with flags and banners until both teams entered the ice. Especially due to the party train the game was rescheduled ealier to 14:30 and although the bully time was quite early the stadium was nearly filled completely by 5400 visitors. Atmospheric the game started on both side of the stands but also on ice there was a lot of joy when Boris Blank directly at the beginning tested Bacashihua in the Straubing goal who could only spill the puck and Francois Method safely made the rebound. Afterwards the game went up and down lively but clear chances for a goal were hard to find. Finally in minute 14 it was up to Sofron who served David Fisher perfectly so that he only had to score and had no problems with the Straubing goalie. A great start against the bogey team because it was really hard to play against the Tigers during the last years and went from the ice always defeated. Just before the brake it was getting dangerous for the Pinguine having a powerplay when Straubing started a counter attack and Duba was able to deflect it brilliantly.
At the second period both teams continued where they stopped at the end of the first one. Powerplays at both sides did generate chances but nothing you could see on the scoreboard. In minute 34 it was up to the Straubing Tigers who took the puck of the Krefeld players to run for a 2 on 1 break. Tomas Duba tried to save but was finally helpless against Kristopher Bach so that the Tigers could narrow the gap to 1:2. Tragic sideeffect of this goal was that Mitja Robar got injured and had to get cured. The Pinguine did not loose their courage due to that and could start a 3 on 2 attack after a passed short-handed period where Clark played the puck to Courchaine. Courchaine was able during falling to push the puck across the line to score for 3:1 so that the old difference was there again. With this result we went on to the last period.
There the Tigers showed that they had not given up completely and were able with a distance shot from the blue-line to score the 2:3 by Sean Sullivan already in minute 2 of the last period. The game was now an exchange of blows where the Pinguine were able in minute 54 to score the releasing 2:4. That offered the possibility to play with a very strict defense that could also not be beaten by the Straubing playing with 6 players.
So finally the fans and the team could start the way back via party train with a nice Christmas present and party extensively until the train arrived at Krefeld at 1:45.


Straubing Tigers - Krefeld Pinguine 2:4 (0:2 / 1:1 / 1:1)

3. / 0:1 / Francois Méthot

14. / 0:2 / David Fischer

34. / 1:2 / Kristopher Beech

37. / 1:3 / Adam Courchaine

42. / 2:3 / Sean Sullivan

54. / 2:4 / Kevin Clark